Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Quickwrite 9/27

In the second to last paragraph the author states, "and since nobody has the time or chutzpah to read, let alone browse the Web, that leaves no readers for most of the text that exists on earth". This statement affects my career choice directly. As a journalist your hopes are that what you are writing is being read by a large, diverse audience. I think this statement is true though, not every article appeals to everyone, therefore many things on the internet go unnoticed. But I do have to disagree with what the author said at some parts. He stated that nobody reads because nobody cares. I think this is untrue because certain topics attract certain readers. Yes there are a lot of things on the internet that are viewed as incorrect or arrogant, but that doesn't mean everything on the internet is useless. The internet is used for entertainment and people will read articles they find entertaining. The author argues the internet is a place to discuss media and products instead of memories, and i don't see a problem with this. If people are entertained by these things instead of actual human interaction it is their own conscious choice.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Becca. Yes there may be some parts of the internet that are useless but then again its those useless parts that may entertain you when you have nothing to do. I find the website Stumble Upon to be a good way to show what you are trying to say as well as the authors point. I love going through that site, because a lot of times I will find entertaining videos or articles or find an interesting article to read that informs me on new inventions or recent news. Other times I can sit there for five minutes and not see anything interesting as the author would say useless. Also with being at school now and my roommate not being big on watching the news, it is the best way to keep up on the outside world.

    ReplyDelete