Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Quickwrite 11/22

One thing that really stuck out was how even when you say hello you are arguing that it deserve a response. For my final paper every point I make must be backed up since I'm arguing my point of view. You must address morals, evidence and beliefs because not everyone is going to be on your side, you have to give them a reason to side with you. The author says, "In analyzing an argument you may be unable to find the backing for one claim because the author took for granted that the warrant was so obvious as not to need further evidence" (pg. 6). To me, this means in my paper I must give an argument for every point I make.

4 comments:

  1. That is very true. If for instance you don't support everything with a fact or source with reason the argument is flawed. If you are in a debate with someone and you notice that something they say wasn't backed up or had little information to back it up then there is room to win and expose that area in their argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really thought about saying hello as being an argument, but that's definitely true. People expect a response every time you say hello. I like how you pointed out that it's really important when arguing to back up all your points and to look at your reasoning from all angles. This way your not biased to one side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quote will help me write my argumentative paper. It does show that very simple statements can be exploited if not backed by substantial evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the hello comment was interesting. It really is true that everything is an argument. I always considered hello as just a friendly greeting but you really are demanding a response.

    ReplyDelete