Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Quickwrite 11/29

I'm considering the topic of mainstreaming disabled children as the issue for my paper.

1. Ad Hominem: attacking the person rather than the issue. I will avoid this by not choosing a topic that focuses on a person or a course of action caused by one person, and rather a broad idea.
2. Stereotyping: my topic idea actually brings up stereotypes to denounce them, so I do not forsee this being encountered at all in my paper.
3. Faulty Sampling: bad statistics. Use a variety of sampling systems and sampling examples to mix data and avoid this.
4. Sweeping Generalizations: do not group an entire population into one category. Make sure to use broad terms such as "usually" and "most".
5. False Dilemma: assuming only two outcomes are possible. I will assess the many angles of the issue to avoid assuming there is only right and wrong, or this or that. Coming up with alternative solutions could help to avoid this.
6. Post Hoc: making no causal assumptions. Only using facts and data to back up if something
happened due to something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment