Tuesday, November 22, 2011

QW 11-22-11

The reading focused about the logical aspect of argument and how important it is. It sounds very simple but it is very necessary and a lot of people don't seem to understand that. It reminds me that you should not just state something for the sake of stating something because it needs to be elaborated on to support and strengthen the argument. It will be necessary to elaborate because the chances of the audience actually taking the inductive "leap of faith" are slim if I don't create a strong logical argument. Obviously the credibility and the emotional appeal are extremely important as well but with my topic I am leaning toward relies mostly on a logical argument.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, I took a debate class in high school and there were a lot of people who would state random facts and ideas on their topic, but would get marked down for not going into detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. In my Senior Writing class everyone was constantly getting marked down for doing exactly what you mentioned. I would be interested to know what your topic is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that most arguments that get thrown around have a lack of factual representation that can back it up. I believe that an argument can be worthless if it is strictly backed by opinions that cannot be supported by evidence.

    ReplyDelete