Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Quickwrite 11/29

Does the way you speak identify with who you are?

1. Ad Hominem- I will not attack someone who thinks that the way you speak identifies your personality.
2. Stereotyping- I will avoid using the stereotypes that just because you have an accent, it means you have a different personality that isn't the norm.
3. Faulty Sampling- I will avoid using examples that have incorrect statistics such as that 4/5 people think that the way you speak does not affect your personality because I would have only asked 5 people out of the whole population.
4. Sweeping Generalizations- I will avoid using phrases like "everyone" and "always". If I say "everyone thinks that Jim is weird because he speaks differently" and one person doesn't agree with that statement, it is a false statement.
5. False Dilemma- I will avoid using just 2 different extremes when many more actually exist.
6. Post Hoc/Ergo Propter Hoc- I will not make the conclusion that because Anna is a nerd, it was caused by her speech impediment.

No comments:

Post a Comment