Tuesday, December 6, 2011

quick write 12/6

My reaction to this piece was indifferent. There were some things that I agreed with, while other things I did not. I think she did make valid arguments though, and things she believes are real occurring things that need change. According to Atwood, "I won't go into the reasons why I think your recent Iraq adventures have been - taking the long view - an ill-advised tactical error" (p. 3). Many people could probably agree with this sentence, even if they do not agree with all of her other views. This sentence touches on a pretty serious issue though America has had to deal with over the years. I completely disagree with her however when Atwood says, "You are gutting the constitution" (p. 3). I think that leaders have to do what they feel best, but I don't believe you should ever word something where it seems like they are not taking the best interest of America to heart. There were parts of her letter that made me want to stop reading it, and there were also parts of letter that really made good points.

2 comments:

  1. I think that your analysis of this argument was extremely effective. I agree with both points you brought up. I also agree that by talking about our involvement in Iraq it brings sympathy to the American reader and allows them to relate to her argument. I did think she went a bit too far in her argument when she was talking about how they are "gutting the constitution". When i think of the constitution i think that the commandments are almost holy and every American respects them, even still today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are both ups and downs to this argument. I also feel like she knows that not everyone is going to agree with her, she just stating what a decent amount of people feel. The fact that she had no sources to back up her claim is a major step back.

    ReplyDelete