Thursday, October 6, 2011

Racial Violence Response Quickwrite 10/06

Honestly I didn't read the email very thoroughly. I saw the jist of it and deleted it. Not because I don't care or I don't feel like it matters, but more because my high school had it's fair share of racial problems and I know there's nothing that I can do personally about these particular incidents. If I didn't partake and don't know who did the vanadlizing, I can't very well help in any way. I was a little surprised to find things like that happening here, in all honestly, because I assumed we at MSU would be a little more open-minded than that.

1 comment:

  1. I did the same thing when I first got the e-mail, I just skimmed through it. However after people started talking about the incidents more I went back and read through the e-mail more thoroughly. We also had a more racially diverse high school but that does not mean that you can just dismiss or ignore the issue because you are used to being around it. You say that there is nothing you can do to prevent racial incidents, but it is little things like asking people watch the words they use such as gay, retarted and the n word that prevent discrimination. Any time someone uses those words it puts a barrier up between that person and someone who may actually be classified by one of those words. Just reducing that can help prevent discrimination in places.

    ReplyDelete