Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mother Tongue

I believe I know what she means when she talks differently to different people. She has a certain language, almost a mini dialect with this person that she and the other person understand perfectly, but it might not be perfect English. My roommate Di is Chinese and the way I talk to him is different than the way I talk to others. When I talk to him I have to slow way down and use common words that he as used to using before. For instance the other day he wanted me to come eat with him and his girlfriend and he said to me, "You are going, eat, come with us." I try my best to make him understand the correct way of saying it. The more I talk to him the more I accidentally use this "language" i have with Di with my other friends.

1 comment:

  1. This kind of 'other language' makes sense to me personally because my roommate is Chinese and I also have to alter how I speak to her as opposed to how I speak to others whose first language is english.

    ReplyDelete