Thursday, December 8, 2011

quick write 12/8

I found this kind of interesting, because personally I hear situations like this all the time. Especially since going to MSU I hear broken english all the time. I think this piece was pretty real according to how people who cannot speak fluent English are judged. I also liked that the author considered herself to be literate in all fo the different forms she knew. She knew fluent English, broken English, and she said watered down Chinese. It was a cool reading.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting that she would claim to be literate not only in english, but in "broken" english and "watered down" Chinese. In my opinion this wouldn't be literacy...if you can't understand the whole language I personally would say you are not entirely literate in the language yet. In my opinion it would be more accurate to say you were learning Chinese and can understand broken english rather than you're fluent in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found this reading interesting. Because a lot of the music majors have Chinese accents when speaking English, it can be hard to understand them sometimes, causing some people to judge them. I don't know if I agreed with her being literate in English though.

    ReplyDelete