Thursday, December 8, 2011

Quickwrite 12/8

I found this piece to be very interesting due to how many Asian people are here on Michigan State's campus. In fact my TA for my math class is very similar to this he may be the smartest person, but I judge him based on that I can only understand about 50 percent of what he says to the class. This piece made a lot of sense to me because as bad as it sounds I judge people who speak "broken" English all the time, and this piece really makes me think that I should strive to not judge a person just by how they speak but rather their actions and personality they have.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you. We shouldn't judge someone solely on physical appearances and language, rather by actions and the way they think and their perception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. My math TA is the same way and he is a genius, but everyone seems to ignore him and judge him because he can barely speak english. It is sad that most of us judge people like this before we get to know them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your response pretty similar to my own. My TA for math is Asian as well, I can only understand 50 percent of what he says. This make me, just as you, not like him as well because I feel that it hurt my learning. I think that I should learn to not judge people by their broken English too though because at least they are trying to communicate and that is commendable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My TA for math is a genius as well. She is asian and also speaks "broken" English. But really tries to teach the material and as Sarah said that is definitely commendable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My chem TA and math TA are both forigen, one being asian, and very hard to understand. I feel that their english is more broken when talking to the whole class, prehaps they're nervous. When talking one on one they arn't offended when you try to help them through a sentence. They understand they have broken english but it should never be compared to a persons intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my Ta is the same way he can barely speak engilsh.

    ReplyDelete