Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Quick Write Tuesday, December 26

My reaction to this reading was one of agreement, but some disconnection. I can agree with her basic idea, that America has changed a lot over her lifetime and she doesn't like where it is heading. However, her support for her argument were ideas based upon her childhood, and since she is so old, I can't relate to her childhood. This made her argument ineffective. She did make a good argument though when she was talking about what she didn't like about America today, as I am living in the current time and can relate to her issues. Her issue with the economy was the most powerful in my opinion and her problems with our lack of producing our own goods was especially resonant to me, as my father worked for a factory and it was recently closed, costing him his job. Overall, she made a good argument, but I couldn't relate with all of her issues.

1 comment:

  1. Brandon, I very much agree with your statement that you can relate to her basic idea that America is changing and its not what it used to be a log time ago, but I thought it was ineffective as well because we are from a different time frame of childhood memories. I also agree with you about how she doesn't like where America is heading with the economic issues because my parents are both in the automotive business, which is not doing so well and I can relate to her same concerns.

    ReplyDelete