Tuesday, December 6, 2011

quickwrite 12/6

In my opinion, this piece had some really valid points and some not so valid points. Atwood created effective arguments in several of her quotes, but one that really stuck with me was
"You're running a record level of debt" (pg. 3). This was effective for me because it is a true statement that needs to be dealt with better than what the conditions are now. Also, when she said "You didn't used to be easily frightened" (pg. 3). That sentence was bold to me because it is a harsh comparison to the past and really makes the reader think of what America used to stand for. The themes that I found in this piece were a lack of support for America and almost hatred for what it has become. I believe that Atwood's arguments were ineffective at the parts where she stated "You're gutting the constitution" (pg. 3). Her word choice, with the word "gutting" was a very powerful word that really paints a picture in your mind of cruelty and carelessness. I did not agree with this statement fully, so it was ineffective to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment