Tuesday, December 6, 2011

QR 1/6/11Beccbaz

In "A letter to America" by Margaret Atwood I felt like as if she was writing to a personal friend because she was pretty informal and I got the feeling that she was trying to explain how much she loved America as a little girl and goes into explaining all her favorite actors and shows, then how she was dissapointed about what is going on in the world today. She made a good argument when she said " We're like Romanized Gauls-look like Romans, dress like Romans, but aren't Romans-peering over the wall at the real Romans." This quote to me was trying to say that we dress and act like americans but the Canadians see over the wall who we really are. It is also the closeness that Canadians feel to America. Her argument way have been inneffective when she said "Anyway, when did you get so scared?" I think this was talking about how America used to be so great and now she dosent even know America anymore, this can be somewhat innefective because she was first talking about how great America was and now saying that America is "scared".

2 comments:

  1. I also feel like this was a reflective writing on how she used to love what America was when she was younger, but she felt that it has become more and more corrupt. The quotes you used were effective to me as well, especially the one about being scared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you're saying. I liked how you used quotes. I think she is just living in the past and needs to quit complaining.

    ReplyDelete