Thursday, December 8, 2011

Quickwrite 12/8

My reaction to this piece was very indifferent. I found it interesting that it took Amy Tan so long to catch on to her mothers and her own "broken english". I could see how it would be difficult to learn a language in its entirety. When i was in high school i took french for 4 years. At the end of my class i could see how if i were in france what i thought to be clear french would be incomprehensible to the people that live there. After reading the piece i found it disturbing that people would give her mother bad service because of her English. i know that it cannot be easy to know two languages that are nothing structurally alike and to discriminate against someone that is trying to use the language correctly strikes me as wrong. Overall, i thought this piece was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment